MaMa's Candied Yams
(that's what Ervin Shaw's family called it
as long as MaMa was alive; it actually is Edith Cooper's).
Servings: Is enough for 6-8 adults; can reduce the recipe & one yam is likely enough for an older couple.
What is needed:
- casserole dish,
- four (4) big & plump (not long and skinny), rosy pink sweet potatoes
- two (2) tablespoons water
- a (1) stick of margarin or real butter
- a cup or two of cinnamon & sugar mix with a little salt added (as little or as much cinnamon component as you prefer)
- Peel and slice yams as thin as you would tomatoes for a tomatoe sandwich and do so length-wise rather than cross-wise
- then, for the full recipe, layer slices to cover the casserole dish bottom,
- and cover that layer with a shave of butter on each slice, cinnamon-sugar mix generously applied;
- add another layer and butter & cinnamon-sugar similarly;
- and keep on layering as above until all slices are used.
- Add the water to keep the slices from drying out while baking.
- NOTE: some like to sprinkle the top layer also with pecan fragments and maybe small marsh-mallows.
- Bake in oven for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees F...stick thickest slice with fork to be sure done before serving
***give me your comments about this
check out the Highest
check out my Family Favorite Recipes list
(27 November 2015)